Skip to main content


A question that frequently arises in family law cases from time to time is whether a court can modify a decree or court mandate after the judge initial order  is made.  The answer is “yes,” subject to some major limitations.

Child Custody and visitation rights modifications

Child support lawyers protecting your children by keeping up with your financial circumstances.

At some point after you receive the Final Order and Decree of Divorce, it is likely that the needs of you, your spouse, or your children will change. A job or career change, for instance, can alter you or your spouse’s ability to pay child support. If this is the case, it might be appropriate to petition for a modification.

In order to petition for a modification of child support there must be a substantial change in circumstances or a specified amount of time has passed. To determine if you qualify to modify your Child Support contact one of our experienced attorneys.
Due to the complexity of child support modifications, it is crucial to retain an experienced and understanding family lawyer. Please reach out to Brown Dutton & Crider Law Firm for assistance in securing a modification to your child support agreement.

Once a judge has issued a custody or visitation order, that order stays in place until a child reaches 18 or the order is modified. A parent who violates a custody or visitation order can face sanctions.

Sometimes life’s changing circumstances make it increasingly difficult to abide by the terms of a court order. Over time, many families experience major life changes that require a custody or visitation modifications.

There are significant differences between modifying a visitations order and a custody order. Specifically Visitation or Parenting Time orders can be revised every two years by asking the court without having to show change in circumstances. On the other hand Modification Orders are only allowed on the basis of a significant change in circumstances since the original order.

Either parent can file a petition to modify custody or visitations. However, before a judge will grant a change to your custody order, the petitioning parent must prove that there’s been a material change in circumstances impacting the child’s well-being or a significant amount of time has passed since the last custody order was issued.

A court will grant the modification if it determines that a custody adjustment is in a child’s best interest.

Reach out to Brown Dutton & Crider today for assistance in securing a modification to your child support agreement. Call us or email us to schedule a consultation and learn about your options.